Thursday, August 6, 2015

There's a WOMAN Coach in the NFL!!!

Just a few weeks ago I had mentioned in my sports fact of the week that the NFL was considering letting a female become a coach as long as she can make a player better. Well...IT HAS HAPPENED! Congratulations are in order to Jen Welter who landed an internship with the Arizona Cardinals. As a woman, this made me very excited considering that in my future I see myself as a team owner (I'll keep you updated).

I wonder if she is doing this to get her foot in the door for other opportunities or if being a NFL coach was something that she wanted to do all along since she was a pro-football  and rugby player herself. I actually had gotten a man's opinion on her being hired and he said that he doesn't think that it is going to work out because ain't no 300 pound man going to listen to a woman. I find that a little hard to believe because I'm pretty sure that he listens to his mother, or maybe even his wife if he's married.
There's nothing wrong with a man listening to a woman. We can know as much as a man does. Besides, there are plenty of men coaching women sports. I don't thing that there is anything in the handbooks that states that women cannot coach  men sports. We just never had the chance to until now. It's about time that us women get the chance to showcase our talents in an all male dominated world. We LOVE sports too! We just have work a little harder to prove ourselves.

There are some of us that didn't play sports but want to commentate, sideline report, of just write. With that being said I wonder how hard it would be if I was to apply for a coaching position in professional sports. That's not until the near future. I still want to get more years of experience under my belt before I would even set myself up for the okey doke. As a woman I couldn't be more proud of what women has accomplished in the sports industry! I have a great feeling that things will start to be more easier and equally available in the years to come for women in sports. We don't just have to be behind the scenes and on the sidelines all the time.

You've heard my thought for today....Stay tuned for more Helen Knows Her Sports!


No comments:

Post a Comment